The Student News Site of Tonawanda High School

Tribe Tribune

Tonawanda High School Announces Empire Girls State Program Representative

Tonawanda, NY (February 21, 2017): Tonawanda High School is proud to announce that junior, Hannah Strahin, has been selected to participate in the 2017 American Legion Auxiliary Empire Girls State program this July at SUNY Brockport.

THS faculty chose nominees based on leadership, patriotism, scholarship and maturity. Congratulations to the following students who were nominated to participate in the 2017 Empire Girls State program: Hope Balling, Kali Beutler, Elizabeth Bukoskey, Mayaka Forsha, Jaclyn Haynes, Victoria Kurdziel, Kristen LaDue, and Hannah Strahin. After the nomination, interview, and selection process, Hannah Strahin was chosen to be the 2017 THS participant and Elizabeth Bukoskey was selected as the alternate.

At the Empire Girls State program, selected high school girls will learn about the United States Government and Constitution. THS representative, Hannah Strahin, will work with other students from across New York State to build a fictitious government, participate in campaign rallies, speeches, platform committees, and create bills. These young women will gain confidence in their roles, duties, and responsibilities as citizens in the United States of America.

Photo File: THS Empire Girls Representatives.jpg

Caption: 2017 Empire Girls State Representative, Hannah Strahin, along with alternate participant, Elizabeth Bukoskey.